Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 2009 - family vacation

This year our family reunion was in Island Park, ID. So Robert and I decided to leave on Friday night and get a few extra days in. First we went to Art on The Green in Coeur d'Alene and walked along the beach with Ardell. He liked the water. And like cool parents - no camera - no pictures.

Saturday morning we headed to Whitehall, Montana. (Super 8 has lousy beds). We made a pit stop in St. Regi, visited an antique store, had lunch and I lost the sippy cup. Then I slept through Missoula, so we didn't stop. We got off on the downtown business loop in Butte, MT and bought fuel for the car and got back on the highway to Whitehall. After finding dinner in Whitehall, we found the local elementary school and Ardell got to play on the playground. It is a smaller version of Fort Sherman Playground in Coeur d'Alene. Still no pictures.

Sunday morning we headed to West Yellowstone. We made a detour at Lewis and Clark Caverns and made the 2 mile hike. (Yes, I made the hike!)












Ardell was carried for most of the hike. There are several placed that were very small and others that were wet, it made for an interesting 2 hours. There is a 3/4 of a mile hike to the entrance and then you hike down about 400 stairs. My legs felt like jello by that time. The nice ranger told us that this was the last point of return. I pressed on, there was no way I could hike back up those steps.
We got to see some bats with there new young. The babies were only about 2-4 oz in weight. Very small bats. A colony of about 50 bats was a ball the size of a dinner plate.

1 comment:

The land of Vegas said...

I'm going to have to add the cave to my list of things I want to do when I hit that side of things. thanks for sharing. I've missed your updates.